Many adults today want to grow and develop new skills – to bolster a current or new vocation or career, improve their school experience, learn about a new hobby or potential pursuit, or increase skill in navigating personal and professional relationships. But sometimes we don’t know how to go about accomplishing our goal, or lose steam along the way. Mentorship helps by providing guidance, encouragement and support, until the goal is reached.
Through Sphere’s 3-Phase Program participants accomplish their goals efficiently and effectively. They also ensure their learning and increase capacity and competency along the way:
1. In Phase 1, mentors help participants identify and get clear on goals, and establish a learning plan,
2. In Phase 2, mentors guide participants to acquire the tools and skills that are needed to meet the goal, and
3. In Phase 3, a participant puts their new knowledge and skills into practice through real-life experiences and projects, designed in conjunction with and overseen by a mentor or group of mentors.
The role of a Sphere mentor is to get to know you, to ask questions, and to offer guidance for possible “next steps” toward a chosen field of interest or endeavor. Our mentors typically have a broad range of life and professional experience; they also tend to have expertise in one or two areas. Regardless of their background, they advance progress by providing supportive feedback, by being a “sounding board” for plans as well as for any concerns or fears that may arise, and by facilitating learning pathways. They can also offer concrete suggestions for research, inquiry, or actions that promote clarity, intention, and action.
There Are Many Other Benefits of Mentorship
- learning and comprehension of particular topics and subject matters
- navigation of the learning experience
- less stressful, more in-depth learning
- an improved likelihood of achieving goals
- increased awareness
- the development of appropriate and helpful support networks
- a boost in self-esteem and confidence
- collaboration skills
- growth in and enhancement of problem-solving skills
What Makes Mentorship with Sphere College Project Different?
We believe that learning happens best when it is delivered in a friendly, welcoming environment supported by clearly defined goals and accountabilities. In highly functioning mentorship relationships, participants build confidence and can make gains quickly.
Sphere is especially focused on providing mentorship for people in underserved communities where traditional education has been unsuccessful in spurring the development that is needed. Sphere is currently offering mentorship to construction contractors in the African-American community who wish to become DBE/DOT-certified, and who desire assistance in growing their business to become active living-wage employers in Asheville. Read more about this program here.
Who Is Eligible for a Sphere Mentor?
Sphere College Project offers mentorship services to adults 18+ of all ages and walks of life in the support of both personal and professional enhancement, and who desire consistent support toward accomplishing a particular goal in life. The goal can be specific or general, as for people who want to better understand what to dedicate more time and energy to at a particular time in life. Consider mentorship if you are:
- currently enrolled in college or other learning programs and want support and assistance in accomplishing academic, career, or social goals;
- contemplating a life transition, such as a new career or vocation, pursuit of a new skill, hobby or endeavor, or a geographic change; or,
- uncertain about what you wish to do next in life, and looking for some guidance in discovering your next steps.
What Does Sphere Mentorship Cost?
For individuals, mentorship is on a sliding scale from $0-$90 per hour, based on ability to pay. We would be delighted to help you fulfill your goals. Please contact us at email@example.com to get started!
Thank you! We look forward to helping you on your journey.